With its low self-esteem and high urban blight, Hartford is the ultimate underdog city. Sad City Hartford documents the joys, sorrows and eccentricities of New England's Rising Star.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Skating Rink

Editor’s Note: Samuel Oliver Bushwick is a new contributing writer to Sad City Hartford. In this week's installment, Bushwick takes a look at Hartford's answer to Rockefeller Center.

With all the negative headlines plaguing Hartford this year, one could argue that the city is on thin ice.  If that’s the case, perhaps it’s only fitting that a skating rink was brought to Bushnell Park this holiday season.
Of course, one visit to the rink and you realize that not all is lost in the Capital City. During this particular visit - where admittedly I spent more time on my rear than actually skating - you could see families spending quality time together, and hear the sounds of laughter from kids as they glide on the ice.  Isn’t this what the holidays are all about?     

In all my excitement of being able to skate for free and not have to wait in line (beat that Rockefeller Center!), something else struck me.  Many of the people in attendance had never skated before.  As I was attempting to lace my skates (Ok, so one of my laces was really short…but at least they’re free.)  I observed someone helping a child put on their skate.  I then overheard a mother say/ask “we’ve never skated before, is this how you do it?”
It was at that moment, that I realized that this rink was more than a rink. It’s an opportunity for the local community to enjoy something together. That’s further proven by the grassroots Facebook fanpage that was created and has over 230 fans. You know in my last post, I called the city’s Festival of Light ceremony a Charlie Brown effort.  Well, it looks like Charlie Brown got it right after all.

1 comment:

  1. I've gone several times and I almost require all out of state friends to join me on the rink when they're visiting. It's a wonderful treat. Hope next year they extend beyond Jan 6th.

    Helpful hint: the ice is refrozen every night and not until then. the best time to skate is when they first open. Otherwise, you're just pushing through other people's tracks.

    ReplyDelete