One of the best things about living in a city is the cultural diversity that is found in cities. Hartford having significant Italian, Bosnian, Puerto Rican, and Jamaican residents is no exception. Even so we were still surprised to find an organized game of Cricket taking place at Riverside Park on Sunday. We don't know Cricket. We don't claim or particuarlly even want to know Cricket. Observations from confused onlookers (us);
1) The field is huge and it even when the ball is hit "foul" backwards it appears that the ball is in play.
2) All the field positions except "pitcher" look pretty boring. A lot of standing around.
3) The "batter" we saw appeared to be a Nomar Garciaparra fan as he took a lot of time fussing with his gloves between pitches.
4) How far can the batter hit the ball? They had one "outfielder" playing a lot deeper than we imagined the ball could be hit.
5) We like how the "pitcher" can and does bounce his pitches to the batter. Maybe Manny Delcarmen should try that.
6) Hakaan Loob always supports wearing flourescent colored uniforms.
7) Baseball probably wouldn't look all that much odder to an outsider not familiar with it.