"William H. Thompson was a professional photo-engraver with the Hartford Engraving Company in Hartford from about 1901-1917. Thompson from 1903-1906 took photographs of street scenes, river scenes, architecture, statues, and parks of central Hartford. He took these photographs, according to a memo to State Librarian George Godard, because “he thought [they] would later be of historic interest.” In 1918 due to ill health he sold his photograph collection to the State Library."
"Addresses for buildings were obtained from the Sanborn Insurance Maps of Hartford, 1900 and Geer’s Hartford City Directory, 1904-1906. Addresses from 1903-1906 may not corroborate with matching addresses today as names of streets in Hartford have changed. For example, what is known as Columbus Boulevard in 2012 was Front Street during the period of 1903-1906. What is in 2012 known as Front Street did not exist from 1903-1906."
Sounds like our sort of things. Let's take a look at some highlights. As our friend said when he sent them, "I noticed there's no heavyset people." As morbid as it is, we can't help but note that everyone in these photos would now be dead.
Just serves as a reminder to us, that we all too shall pass and that it is all very, very temporary.
Here we see Hartford's first lowrider.
|Main St south of Sheldon|
What were the traffic rules between horse carriage and cars in these days? Did they use different lanes? Did the carriages have to get out of the way for the cars? Did the cars wheels ever fling horse dung up onto pedestrians? Such turbulent times.
|St. Johns Episcopal|
|Main St south of Wells|
|Market St south of Temple|
|State St west of Front St|
Don't you see the blurry guy crossing the street has an iPhone!?!?!! It's totally there! WTF!?!?! Is this some sort of conspiracy promulgated by Obama and the lizard folk?!!?
|North Side of Main St at State St|
|Front St north of Ferry|
Note the Manhattan reference on top of the establishment.
Uneeda Biscuit is just an awesome product name. Classic. Sadly Uneeda Biscuit was discontinued by Nabisco in 2009. Uneedto ClickonmoreSadCitylinks.
|Temple east of Market|